Lionel Richie cancels 2022 European and UK broadcasts | Entertainment News

Lionel Richie has canceled all of his summer 2022 gigs in the UK and Europe, including his main slot at the Isle of Wight Festival.

The 72-year-old music legend was forced to pull out of her scheduled performances across the pond this year, due to the “impact” of COVID-19.

In a statement on Twitter, he said: “As COVID and its variants continue to impact the world, I have decided to put my European tour on hold this summer.

“The most important thing to me is the health of my fans, my group and my team. I hope you all understand and I hope to see you very soon when we can all get together safely.

The “Dancing on the Ceiling” hitmaker was set to co-headline IOW with Lewis Capaldi on June 17.

However, a post on the festival page read: “Unfortunately Lionel Richie will no longer be playing cinch presents Isle of Wight Festival 2022. Watch this space for more information soon. We look forward to seeing you all this summer ! “

It’s unclear if he’ll be replaced or if the ‘Someone You Loved’ hitmaker will be the sole headliner that night.

The affected ‘Hello’ tour dates also include Lionel’s Eden Sessions concert at the Eden Project in Cornwall scheduled for June 14.

The rescheduled race was scheduled for 2020 but, like most tours, was delayed due to the pandemic.

Ticket holders will be able to request a refund from their point of purchase.

Several other artists have decided to cancel their tours this year.

On Tuesday (01.02.22), Aerosmith scrapped its 2022 European dates due to the “uncertainty” of the pandemic.

Steven Tyler and co were scheduled to hit the road in June and July, but decided to cancel the concerts due to the “continuing presence of COVID restrictions and other issues”, and to protect their fans and team.

In a statement posted on their social media pages, the ‘Sweet Emotion’ rockers said: “It is with deep regret that we have to announce that our European tour, which was scheduled to take place in June and July 2022, has been cancelled. cancelled.

“We have continued to monitor the ongoing COVID situation, and with the uncertainty related to travel logistics and the continued presence of COVID restrictions and other issues, it has become clear that it will not be possible to continue our summer shows in the region.

“The health, safety and well-being of our fans is our number one priority.

“We will be back to have a blast with everyone and hope to have some exciting news to announce soon. (sic)”

The rock legends had already postponed the shows, which were originally scheduled to take place in 2020, twice before.